Osteoporosis: Global Drug Forecast and Market Analysis to 2027
Osteoporosis is a disease in which the density and quality of bone are reduced over time. In a natural process known as remodeling, some of the bone cells dissolve (resorption) and new bone cells grow back (formation). For people with osteoporosis, bone loss outpaces the growth of new bone. Consequently, bones become more porous and fragile, leading to weakness of the skeleton and an increased risk of hip, spine, and wrist fractures. Osteoporosis is often referred to as a “silent” disease, because the loss of bone occurs progressively and often there are no symptoms until the first fracture occurs.
Despite being a market currently monopolized by generics, osteoporosis is expected to undergo substantial change between 2017 and 2027. Clear changes are already being seen with the recent launch of Radius Health’s Tymlos (abaloparatide) in the US in 2017. Anabolic agents are likely to further revolutionize the market with the arrival of a novel sclerostin inhibitor, Evenity (romosozumab), and teriparatide biosimilars. This diversification of the anabolic offering will increase competition in this space, driving down high price tags and potentially bolstering the use of these therapies up the treatment paradigm. The launch of Evenity will keep Amgen a key player in the osteoporosis market as they lose patent protection of current market leading therapy, Prolia (denosumab). The arrival of new anabolic agents and the loss of patent protection for key branded therapies will shape the osteoporosis market over the forecast period. However, poor diagnosis rates, badly perceived drug side effects, and low compliance rates will continue to prove major barriers to growth over the next 10 years.
Key Questions Answered
– What are the key osteoporosis treatments in 2017?
– When will the late stage pipeline products launch, and how will it affect drug sales and the overall osteoporosis market in the 7MM?
– Which unmet needs will remain unaddressed in the forecast period and what opportunities remain for pharmaceutical companies?
– Overview of osteoporosis, including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and disease management.
– Annualized osteoporosis therapeutics market revenue, cost of therapy per patient, and treatment usage patterns in four patient segments (postmenopausal, male, glucocorticoid-induced and osteopenia) forecast from 2017 to 2027.
– Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs, clinical trial mapping and implications for the osteoporosis therapeutics market
– Pipeline analysis: comprehensive data assessing emerging trends and mechanisms of action under development for osteoporosis therapy. The most promising candidates in Phase III development are profiled.
– Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global osteoporosis therapeutics market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Reasons to buy
The report will enable you to –
– Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline.
– Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global osteoporosis therapeutics market.
– Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the global osteoporosis therapeutics market in the future.
– Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analysing the performance of various competitors.
– Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
– Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.